Re: Freebsd on M1 Macs

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 23:52:45 UTC
On 11/26/23 16:04, Jason Bacon wrote:
> On 11/26/23 13:22, Joe B wrote:
>>
>> I know this is a longshot but I'm going to ask I know MacOS is a BSD
>> but we all know it's very sugarcoated and doesn't look like a BSD.
>>
>> Question will real freeBSD ever come to the m1 Mac's. I got a 16 inch
>> mbp with good specs just taking up space right now
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> ~ Joe B
>
> I assume you've seen https://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleSilicon.  Not sure
> how up-to-date it is.  The wikis tend to lag behind reality in my
> experience.

Yeah, this is a bit out of date.  SMP and watchdog bits are good, along
with some subset of the USB ports (IOMMU is a WIP).  With the branch I'm
working on right now, we can go full multi-user on a USB root.  Work
stalled for a bit because there was a general disagreement with how we
integrated parts of the interrupt control into the interrupt framework,
but I've been given a vision recently of a clear path forward, so
hopefully we can move forward with that and unblock upstreaming some of
the other bits.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans