FreeBSD and CM4: use pftf/RPi4 (the EDK2 implementation)?

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 02:15:02 UTC
You may have an alternative for the CM4, not that I know the
details of the status.

The firmware from https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases/tag/v1.34

includes bcm2711-rpi-cm4.dtb --and they only bother to include
.dtb files for what they support in EDK2. (But there is still
the questions of just what the support spans.)

So, if it turned out that UEFI/ACPI from EDK2 would
happen to be useful, it might avoid incomplete/inaccurate
Device Tree handling for the CM4 in teh FreeBSD kernel,
at least for some issues.

But there is also the possibility of incomplete/inaccurate
UEFI/ACPI handling in FreeBSD's kernel in ways that would
be important to you. But it is separate code in the FreeBSD
kernel generally so what works vs. not may well be different
from Device Tree based booting.

I'll note that the crash that I worked out how to avoid is
Device Tree boot-style specific. Any crash for UEFI/ACPI
would be separate, if any exists.

But if you try UEFI/DeviceTree then the firmware vintage
issue might be involved in that case.

Just something to possibly explore for/with your CM4.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com