Re: How to make FreeBSD's kernel boot a RPi4B with modern RPi* firmware

From: Klaus_Küchemann <maciphone2_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 17:57:32 UTC
> Am 08.01.2023 um 09:26 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>:
>
>  I……
> listed 4 kinds that sysutils/rpi-firmware does not have
> .dtb files for. None of the 4 are considered supported
> at this stage, so far as I know. But someone might work
> on making one of them somewhat supported. Such a person
> might like to avoid dealing with the
> bcm_dma-lack-of-initialization related crashes. ……………...

Thanks, Mark for detailed clarification

I think that's about what I expected in terms of the decision if
touching the firmware-upstream makes sense or not .
I guess it doesn’t make sense (for now) .
For the cm4 I can say that ‚ unload‘ of modules in loader or for persistence disabling ‚devmatch' in rc.conf
will get the machine to boot, newer FW not needed and it would spam dmesg with unsupported features(for now)..
No clue what the devmatch does in „pre“-boot because „starting devd“ seems to do the job short before the root login..
So for now of course unsupported machine type(while not bad once booted), since pcie is buggy(and that’s a seeminglybig task to fix that).

What wasn’t clear for me is whether crashes like those from Björn Zeeb have any relation to firmware/u-boot/eeprom,
but reading closer I guess he’s probably using an unsupported bootloader that could cause problems,
What was also unclear for me is if there’s a similar boot issue as with CM4 on the 4bC0T,
Thanks for clarifying that there isn’t such an issue on 4bC0T.

of course, it is important to examine all of this on a regular basis ,
 thanks for that effort!

Regards

K.