Re: kernel: Fatal data abort - issue on rpi4

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_phouka.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 23:03:37 UTC
On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 11:10:30AM +0200, Marek Soudny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite new to arm/aarch64. I recently purchased rpi4, burned an
> sdcard image and have been trying to run it. Time to time (but actually
> quite often) the box becomes unresponsive. I can not ping it, neither
> ssh into it. I am running fbsd 13.1-release.

  When I was doing a lot of SDcard work pre-RPI4, I was almostly
exclusively using SanDisk (Ultra) cards.  I was looking for robust
cards with high transfer speed.  Once USB became an option, I pretty
only much booted off them when I was forced to.

  I'm not knocking SD cards to much here, but they're tiny and I put
mine through a LOT of disk I/O.  Even with wear leveling, without a lot
of space to level over I can't be doing that thing a lot of favors.
Depending on how your cooling thermals are, you could be torturing that
poor thing.  Hanging a space-big USB disk off that thing seemed like a
big win in a lot of ways.  Again, depends on your use.

> Does it sound familiar? Am I doing something wrong? As it's currently
> not stable, I can perform any tests with it, if required. I actually
> found a similar issue
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/fatal-kernel-mode-data-abort-every-2-3-boots-on-raspberry-pi-b.49066/
> - do you think it's an sdcard issue? If so, is there a recommended list
> for purchase new ones?

  Well, I think your link looks much more like a disk (deiver) issue,
where yours looked more like some kind of register dump to me without
a stack trace and some of the trappings from that image.

  If it's easy, I'd try USB.  Probably bigger, faster, cheaper, and for
a test you may just have something laying around idle (plus it may help
rule out some physical issue with the SD card slot).  If it works, then
that points to a problematic card.  If not, something else.