Re: FreeBSD 14: Poll armv6 deprecated or removed

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 02:22:10 UTC
Hi, Reference:

Mark Millard wrote:
> Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote on
> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 19:23:53 UTC :
>
> > On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 10:48 AM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry for the lag of a year, it's been a crazy time for me and this fell
> > > through the cracks.
> > > . . .
> > >

> > Oh, and #6: Demote armv6 (but not armv7) to tier 3. It's been kinda
> > de-facto there for a while anyway, and this will make the signalling clear
> > that the runway for armv6 is running out.
> >

> Yea. Some other adjustments to:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm/
>
> would likely be appropriate, not just things
> strongly tied to just armv6. Primarily, in:
>
> QUOTE
> 32-bit ARMv6 and ARMv7 is officially a Tier 2 architecture,
> as the FreeBSD project does not provide official releases
> or pre-built packages for this platform due to it primarily
> targeting the embedded arena.
> END QUOTE
>
> FreeBSD does provide pre-built packages for armv7, now much
> better than when qemu based building was in use. (The aarch64
> based builders can execute armv7 and are used for armv7
> package building these days.)
>
> (armv6 builds uses qemu on amd64, which significantly limits
> what gets built and provided: lots fails to be built. armv7
> use to have that status as well.)
>
> Also, the likes of:
>
> http://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/
>
> does have some armv6 and armv7 materials for 12.3/ , 12.4/ ,
> 13.0/ , and 13.1/ . The wording above might stop someone
> from even looking for the material. (This sort of status
> is not a recent change.) Sure looks to be official material.
>
> (No implication of a change from Tier 2 for armv7. But the
> existing wording used to indicate example justifications is
> --and has been-- misleading.)

Extending wordings associated with each Pi dd image, would be very
welcome, to specificaly list all hardware version of a Pi each image
of v6, v7, aarch64, the image should boot.

As a newbie to Raspberry Pi (but not FreeBSD) I have long been confused
which image is for which version of Pi hardware.

I previously had some kind of a 3B, & now have a "Pi 3 Model B+",
but have not got beyond booting images, starting to customise /etc/
& then it crashes yet again, needing yet another dd, & repeat,
Being certain one is using the right image would be nice.

My notes: http://www.berklix.org/~jhs/pi/#images

Cheers,
--
Julian Stacey  http://berklix.com/jhs/  http://StolenVotes.UK