Re: FreeBSD mips support

From: Marc Fonvieille <blackend_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 10:04:05 UTC
Le 28.09.2021 16:42, tech-lists a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 08:46:29AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> >All mips. mips64 is in no better shape than mips32 these days.
>
> OK. I understand.
>
> I tried a few years ago to get an edgerouter lite 3 working with
> freebsd but failed. I'm using openbsd on it now.
>
> I think it might be all a bit chicken-and-egg wrt mips. There's a
> lot of mips64 hardware out there that's still working; the edgerouter is
> not especially old. I had to carefully search at the time to discover
> whether *any* bsd worked with this hardware *at all*.
>
> ah well. OpenBSD is still BSD ;) and the last time I looked it was fully
> supported for this particular octeon mips64 device. (by that I mean
> binary upgrades btwn OS versions).

Hi,

MIPS arch is still present in education (e.g. Computer
Organization and Design 6th edition from 2020 is available in both MIPS
and RISC-V version) because it's easy to use it to describe things
(well, RISC-V could be used for the same purpose but hold habits...).
As you said many 3-4 years old routers, Wi-Fi AP, etc. uses MIPS
hardware.  Loongson still provides MIPS64 based hardware (with some
changes).
So it's a shame FreeBSD stops MIPS support, but if it's in bad shape and
no one has the energy and time to fix it, it's difficult to raise an
objection.

I also wonder if someone really use FreeBSD on MIPS hardware, each time
I had to use an OS on this hardware family, I used Linux (Openwrt for
example).

--
Marc