Re: git: 32137c41065c - main - sound: Retire the version constants
- In reply to: Christos Margiolis: "Re: git: 32137c41065c - main - sound: Retire the version constants"
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2026 17:17:36 UTC
On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 9:59 AM Christos Margiolis <christos@freebsd.org> wrote: > > On Fri Sep 25, 2026 at 6:27 PM CEST, Jason Harmening wrote: > > On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 5:34 AM Christos Margiolis <christos@freebsd.org> > > wrote: > > > >> On Wed Sep 23, 2026 at 10:19 PM CEST, Jason Harmening wrote: > >> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 2:19 PM John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote: > >> > > >> >> On 9/22/26 14:54, Jason Harmening wrote: > >> >> > Do you plan to also bump __FreeBSD_version__ for these changes? > >> >> > This will break any out-of-tree sound driver that uses these macros, > >> >> > particularly if you MFC it. > >> >> > Such drivers will then need some way to determine whether to hardcode > >> '1' > >> >> > or use the previous macro/hardcode '5' to avoid a failed dependency > >> >> check. > >> >> > I still maintain such a thing, however few users there may be, and it > >> >> seems > >> >> > unsafe to assume there aren't others. > >> >> > > >> >> > This seems like a completely unnecessary change TBH. > >> >> > >> >> Can you use #ifdef to test if they are defined in an out-of-tree driver? > >> >> In > >> >> your case, perhaps as something like: > >> >> > >> >> #ifndef SOUND_MINVER > >> >> #define SOUND_MINVER 1 > >> >> #endif > >> >> > >> >> <replying-all this time, god I despise the gmail UI> > >> > > >> > Sure, I mentioned that very possibility in my post on > >> > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D59873. > >> > That's still a hack, and I'm still not sure why it was necessary to kill > >> > these defines in the first place. > >> > >> Does your driver actually depend on sound(4)'s versioning, and if yes, > >> how? > >> > > > > Uh, yes...just like all the in-tree drivers before you made this change, it > > depended on those version constants to allow the module to load correctly. > > > > Of course I get what you're really asking here, and no...just like the > > in-tree drivers, it does not make any functional distinction between > > different sound(4) versions. > > So the versioning was functionally useless in your driver too. > >> > >> The reason for deleting those, although technically unnecessary, was > >> because these values have been forgotten for years and do not actually > >> mean anything useful, so I think it's better to just clean this up and > >> fix the few (if any) use-cases, than keep this rotting further. > > > > > > I completely understand that these no longer meant anything useful in terms > > of KPI/KBI compatibility, but I don't really see why getting rid of them > > was worth the churn, even just the in-tree churn (disregarding risks for > > out-of-tree drivers). What ongoing maintenance burden were these defines > > likely to cause? > > There wasn't any significant maintenance burden, but that church wasn't > anything complicated to implement either, and I don't see a point of > keeping something that is functionally dead. > > > As a separate question, would it instead make sense to make these versions > > start meaning something again? > > For example, you recently made a change to require mixer_init() to be > > called in a certain order relative to other initialization. That change > > seems perfectly reasonable from a technical standpoint, but would it also > > make sense to bump the version constants to avoid a panic from loading a > > stale audio driver kmod that didn't use the correct init sequence? > > This would be a good use case yes. I will think a bit more about it. The odd choice to me is arbitrarily resetting the "epoch"; I see justification for removing the macros that force everything to the same value. I can't think of precedent for resetting it back to 1 off hand unless something were simultaneously renamed or moved, ensuring there is never possible overlap. > Christos >