Re: git: b551cb063c5e - main - During shutdown, announce each file system as it's unmounted.

From: Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2026 21:30:13 UTC
On Sun, Sep 13, 2026 at 2:16 PM Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2026, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
> > "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> >> Is there a reason this needs to be \t indented?
> >>
> >> ..
> >> Syncing disks, vnodes remaining... 0 0 done
> >> All buffers synced.
> >>         Unmounting 1/2 /
> >>         Unmounting 2/2 /dev
> >
> > In keeping with how our rc script usually behave, I would expect to see:
> >
> > Unmounting: / /dev.
> >
> > i.e.: first print "Unmounting:", then iterate over the file systems,
> > printing a single space and the mountonname for each of them before
> > unmounting it, then print a period and a newline when done.
> >
> > It is also surprising that / gets unmounted before /dev, but I suspect
> > that may be intentional and perhaps even unavoidable.
>
> I am quite happy about the counter m/n to be honest;  once you reboot a
> system with lots of file systems that helps.
>
> /bz

I'll remove the tabs as bz requested.  As for the counters, like bz I
too find them to be extremely helpful with > 1000 file systems.  So
I'm not going to remove those.  And as for / getting unmounted before
/dev , yes that's deliberate.  It's documented in vfs_unmountall.