Is it feasible to run HAST with only ONE node long-term

Mikolaj Golub to.my.trociny at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 19:11:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 10:22:48AM +0000, Andy D'Arcy Jewell wrote:

> My main worry is that HAST performance might suffer as the delta grows
> between the master and it's long-lost slave; does the master
> consume extra resources (memory, disk) "saving up" the replication
> stream objects, or does it just rely on a time/version stamp so when
> (in normal operation) the slave gets back in contact with the master,
> it knows to do a full sync?

No performance degradation is expected.  hastd(8) maintains a map of
dirty extents. The map size is static, just more blocks are marked as
dirty during disconnect. It would only affect synchronization time
after the connection is restored.

You might consider setting the remote address to "none" (see
hast.conf(5)) to make hastd(1) even not try to connect to the
secondary.

--
Mikolaj Golub