Re: another xen-kernel UEFI story

From: Roger Pau Monné <royger_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:32:45 UTC
On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 02:41:34PM +0200, lizbethmutterhunt@gmail.com wrote:
> Op Tuesday, 10 August 2021 09:38:58 CEST schreef u:
> > On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 05:23:27PM +0200, lizbethmutterhunt@gmail.com wrote:
> > > could someone pleas check this link:
> > > https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/xen-kernel-doesnt-start-at-all.81556/
> > >
> > > does anyone has another idea then duplicating CURRENT and RELEASE via
> > > Virtualbox or qemu?
> > >
> > > XEN simply doesn't boot after setting xen_kernel on in /boot/loader.conf,
> > > we tried different ways but none worked. It's loading [text], [data],
> > > [syms] and the preconfig but afterwards there's just the reset-button
> > > option, because XEN doesn't boot.
> > >
> > > any help appreciated!
> >
> > Hello,
> hello royger!
>
> > There are a couple of things to look at, first of all, do you have a
> > serial console attached to the box?
> I guess so, because there are two possibilities to start from via primary and
> secodary console!

The serial console is a port (usually a RS-232) on your box that you
attach a cable to and connect to another computer, so you can get
early text debug output:

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/serial-console.htm
https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/intro-why.html

There also some boxes that have a virtual serial console like Intel
AMT Serial Over LAN:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology

If you can setup one of those it would be handy in figuring it what's
wrong, since the serial is initialized way before than the VGA adapter
and could contain a message detailing what went wrong.

> > If you don't have a serial console, and the above doesn't fix your
> > issue I would recommend that you switch to plain UEFI booting (ie: no
> > BIOS CSM), install FreeBSD 14 (current) and then try to boot Xen with
> > UEFI. FreeBSD 14 should have support for booting Xen from UEFI without
> > the need of the BIOS CSM mode.
> switched in BIOS to plain UEFI mode (auto) but still no difference.
>
> making my virtual machine with release (works with 14-CURRENT, too!). But what
> to do with the hypervisor on an virtual machine; making machines in machines?

You can indeed boot Xen inside of QEMU, but in order to boot a FreeBSD
dom0 you will need to enable nested virtualization and a virtual
IOMMU.

Regards, Roger.