Re: another xen-kernel UEFI story

From: <lizbethmutterhunt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:41:34 UTC
Op Tuesday, 10 August 2021 09:38:58 CEST schreef u:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 05:23:27PM +0200, lizbethmutterhunt@gmail.com wrote:
> > could someone pleas check this link:
> > https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/xen-kernel-doesnt-start-at-all.81556/
> >
> > does anyone has another idea then duplicating CURRENT and RELEASE via
> > Virtualbox or qemu?
> >
> > XEN simply doesn't boot after setting xen_kernel on in /boot/loader.conf,
> > we tried different ways but none worked. It's loading [text], [data],
> > [syms] and the preconfig but afterwards there's just the reset-button
> > option, because XEN doesn't boot.
> >
> > any help appreciated!
>
> Hello,
hello royger!

> There are a couple of things to look at, first of all, do you have a
> serial console attached to the box?
I guess so, because there are two possibilities to start from via primary and
secodary console!

> It seems like you do because you have the serial output options
> enabled in loader.conf, in which case can you paste the output you get
> from the serial when booting?
could just make a photo, but it's loading the preemt and than it stops only to
recover via the reset key.

> Also note that the line:
>
> xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=4048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0pvh=1 com1=115200,8n1
> guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all"
>
> Is wrong unless you are using Xen 4.7. The handbook [0] states
> that for Xen 4.11 and greater dom0=pvh should be used instead of
> dom0pvh=1.
tried both versions X-times but didn't react on neither!

> Also note that the line:
>
> hw.pci.mcfg=0
made my # before the line, no change
> Is not needed unless you are using Xen 4.7.
>
> If you don't have a serial console, and the above doesn't fix your
> issue I would recommend that you switch to plain UEFI booting (ie: no
> BIOS CSM), install FreeBSD 14 (current) and then try to boot Xen with
> UEFI. FreeBSD 14 should have support for booting Xen from UEFI without
> the need of the BIOS CSM mode.
switched in BIOS to plain UEFI mode (auto) but still no difference.

making my virtual machine with release (works with 14-CURRENT, too!). But what
to do with the hypervisor on an virtual machine; making machines in machines?

> Thanks, Roger.
thanx a lot for trying to help me!

lizbeth