/etc/security/audit_warn -- where to log to by default?

Ilmar S. Habibulin ilmar at watson.org
Tue Jan 25 09:34:08 GMT 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Robert Watson wrote:

> The primary interesting downside would be on a system running MAC, where
> perhaps the integrity grade, confidentiality level, or domain/type of the
> audit data is different from that of the other log data, and would benefit
> from being stored in another directory to facilitate that, not to mention
> keeping the syslog daemon out of the loop (as syslogd talks to a lot of
> other processes directly, including many untrusted ones).
Any system process/daemon talk to them. Maybe just kill 'em all? ;-)

> Any thoughts on this one?
I think that some sort of reengineering must be done to make system
daemons act according to mandatory policies. Daemon must implement
mandatory policies by controling information flows, sorting and labeling
them appropriately. What can we do with syslogd? Give it permission to
change its' own label. Set the label of /var/run/log to "*/equal". So
everybody can write to the log. Now syslog reads data and decides which
log it must be stored to. Then it changes own label to be equal to the
appropriate log and writes to it.

There is many problems with logs, for example, utmp,wtmp and lastlog
filled by login. And what about X Server? I can make it run on MAC
environment, but first of all i need to unsecure :( it by setting
"*/equal" to /dev/io, /dev/mem and some other devs.
There is many problems with developing trusted os with classic mandatory
access controls, and i some times wonder is there anybody really needs
such functionality.