/etc/security/audit_warn -- where to log to by default?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 25 01:34:04 GMT 2005

Right now we're using the audit_warn script as shipped in the Darwin bsm
source drop, which consists of:

  #!/bin/sh
  TIME=$(date "+%h %d %H:%M:%S")
  echo "$TIME audit warning: $@" >> /etc/security/audit_messages

My leaning is that this is undesirable on a couple of counts:

(1) It would be nice to store the audit-related log messages in /var/log
    with the rest of the log files.

(2) It would be nice to use syslog(3) to log the messages, as well as
    newsyslog(8) to rotate the log.

This suggests replacing it with something like the following:

  #!/bin/sh
  logger -p security.warning "audit warning: $@"

We'd then either leave that pointed at /var/log/security, or add a
/var/log/audit.log to capture audit data form the audit_warn command using
a name-based classification.

The primary interesting downside would be on a system running MAC, where
perhaps the integrity grade, confidentiality level, or domain/type of the
audit data is different from that of the other log data, and would benefit
from being stored in another directory to facilitate that, not to mention
keeping the syslog daemon out of the loop (as syslogd talks to a lot of
other processes directly, including many untrusted ones).

Any thoughts on this one?

Robert N M Watson