error whilst compiling

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 24 15:45:18 GMT 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Evan Sarmiento wrote:

> Hm, I get this error when trying 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=AVGVSTVS'
> on the trustedbsd-mac branch. I'm running:
>
> FreeBSD teqnix.sekt7.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #3: Wed Jul
> 17 06:58:03 EDT 2002
> evms at teqnix.sekt7.org:/usr/obj/usr/home/evms/FreeBSD/jailng/sys/AVGVSTVS
> i386
>
> The error is: (well it's just a warning)
>
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> /usr/home/evms/FreeBSD/projects/trustedbsd/mac/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_vnops.c:88:
> warning: redundant redeclaration of `M_ACL' in same scope
> /usr/home/evms/FreeBSD/projects/trustedbsd/mac/sys/sys/acl.h:123:
> warning: previous declaration of `M_ACL'
>
> I suppose I could comment out the MALLOC_DECLARE in ufs_vnops.c.

For the time being, it's best to build the kernel with NO_WERROR due to
some warnings in the kernel tree we haven't yet resolved.  This particular
warning occurs because we were bumping into a problem with recursive
includes: in particular, the definition of M_ACL in mac.h relied on
MALLOC_DECLARE() being defined in an earlier inclusion of malloc.h, and
acl.h was getting recursively included before malloc.h and the explicit
include in ufs_vnops.h.  I think we resolved it by re-ordering the
includes, but the real fix is probably to move a couple of the basic ACL
types to types.h.  Assuming that ufs_vnops.c is now compiling correctly
without it (both with and without a full buildkernel), we should go ahead
and remove this.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories