good books

Timothy Fraser tfraser at tislabs.com
Tue Apr 11 14:18:04 GMT 2000

Hi!

> Aside from the TCSEC Orange Book (which I'll freely admit that I need to
> re-read) are there any pointers for information which you'd recommend?
> Preferably none more expensive than a good book from a bookstore - I
> don't fancy spending a few thousand dollars on some standards document.

Let me add my favorite to the list of good books previously posted:
Dorothy Denning's "Cryptography and Data Security" Addison-Wesley 1982,
1983.  It's out of print, but I found a copy for sale via
www.bibliofind.com.  This was the very first book I bought on the Net, via
a telnet-based store just before the Web got big.  Yes, I sent my credit
card number in the clear to buy an info security book.  I skipped the
crypto chapters (out of laziness), but found the rest to be a firm
grounding in the fundamentals behind info security, with plenty of good