Announcement: TrustedBSD Extensions Project

David Collier-Brown - Sun Canada davecb at scot.canada.sun.com
Mon Apr 10 20:16:00 GMT 2000

Phil Pennock <phil at globnix.org> wrote:
| Hrm - my understanding of mandatory access controls[1] leads me to
| believe that they're of use where you don't trust everyone in your own
| party; whether that's their integrity or their competence is not the
| issue.
| Where you merely have mutually suspicious parties, discretionary access
| control are, AIUI, sufficient.

	Actually DAC is for both: it's the implementation of
	need-to-know.

	MAC is there to separate areas which people are authorized
	to work in or not, and between which need-to-knmow doesn't
	really mean anything.

	One classical civil example is the separation of accounting and
	development (;-)) You could use DAC, but then you'd have to
	trust that no-one in accounting authorized a developer to access
	the payroll programs "to fix it". Thats not trusting insiders.

	The other is cooperating companies, who wish strong controls
	on cooperative projects, to keep each other out of areas
	where they have no business being. That's mutually suspicious
	parties.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown in Boston