Whazup?

Robert Watson robert at cyrus.watson.org
Fri Apr 7 22:22:23 GMT 2000

There's been a fair amount of discussion of the Linux implementations on
the POSIX.1e mailing list which I host.  POSIX.1e was the aborted effort
by a number of trusted operating system vendors to standardize POSIX API
extensions for features such as ACLs, Capabilities, Auditing, Information
Flow Labels, and MAC.

ACLs are not in the base Linux distribution at this point, although the
implementation is pretty mature.  Capabilities are in the Linux kernel,
but not supported in the file system, so applications typically are setuid
root, and then give up capabilities rather than gaining them by virtue of
the execution path.  I don't know of an auditing implementation; I know
that Tim Fraser at TIS Labs at Network Associates (a coworker of mine) has
a partial LOMAC implementation for Linux, but it was original developed on
FreeBSD and may be ported back there.

There's also word of the impending Type Enforcement implementation by
Secure Computing, Inc., under contract from NSA.  TIS also has a DTE
implementation for BSD/OS that is being ported to FreeBSD; I may be
helping out with that some over the next few months.

I'll be pushing out an announcement about TrustedBSD this weekend--please
feel free to review the web site and send me comments so I can make sure
everything is in order.

  Robert N M Watson

robert at fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/