[Linux-privs-discuss] ext_attr overlaps

Christoph Hellwig hch at ns.caldera.de
Thu Jan 11 08:34:59 GMT 2001

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 03:27:27PM -0800, LA Walsh wrote:
> I notice that for the basic posix families, mac, cap, acl, and info,
> all share structure "function_[get/set]_[file/fd]".  It seems the
> logical place for this is in ext_attr handling.
>
> I.e. -- when any of the families are called with a pathname or fd, it
> seems the first resolv to an inode, then a call to get/set_ext_attr.  So
> I'm wondering -- would it be a good plan (should someone do it/should I do
> it?) to add ext_attr support?

Wich the current implementation I don't think it is a good idea, because
there may be ACL (and other) implementations that do not use EAs, e.g.
in NFSv4.   But when Stephens idea of EA-Families (lately discusses on
-fsdevel) gets implemented this would make sense, IMHO.

> 	It seems the only 'public' internal kernel interface are the
> ext_attr_get(inode)/ext_attr_set(inode) calls.  I'm just wondering if
> it might be good to have ext_attr_[get/set]_[fd/file] for direct support
> of the other functions w/o duplication of code?

Internal?  - I don't like it very much to have all this interfaces
in the kernel, the vfs should always operate on inodes (for attriobutes)
or dentrys (for pathnames).

	Christoph

--
Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX.