ext_attr overlaps

LA Walsh law at sgi.com
Wed Jan 10 23:27:27 GMT 2001

I notice that for the basic posix families, mac, cap, acl, and info,
all share structure "function_[get/set]_[file/fd]".  It seems the
logical place for this is in ext_attr handling.

I.e. -- when any of the families are called with a pathname or fd, it
seems the first resolv to an inode, then a call to get/set_ext_attr.  So
I'm wondering -- would it be a good plan (should someone do it/should I do
it?) to add ext_attr support?

	It seems the only 'public' internal kernel interface are the
ext_attr_get(inode)/ext_attr_set(inode) calls.  I'm just wondering if
it might be good to have ext_attr_[get/set]_[fd/file] for direct support
of the other functions w/o duplication of code?

Are there reasons why this code re-use wouldn't work or be advisable?

-l
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at cyrus.watson.org