'Live' Migrate messes up NTP on FreeBSD domU - any suggestions?

Roger Pau Monné roger.pau at citrix.com
Fri Jul 29 08:29:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 04:37:14PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 04:43:43PM +0200, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> > Adding Wei to the Cc list since he added the multiqueue functionality.

> > > Ok, I have tested this with r303286 - it seems to work OK. The hosts gain no
> > > time that I can see while migrating, and NTP stays happy.
> > >
> > > I did get a panic after about 40 migrations - but that seems to be some
> > > network issue or something...
> > >
> > >   ('panic called with 0 available queues / dbt_trace_self_wrapper / vpanic /
> > > kassert_panic / xn_txq_mq_start / ether_output / udp_send / sosend_dgram /
> > > kern_sendit / sendit / sys_sendto / amd64_syscall / Xfast_syscall)
> >
> > I haven't been able to reproduce this, but I think it's possible that if you
> > migrate an active netfront xn_txq_mq_start might be called during the
> > migration, just in the middle of the setup_device reconfiguation (while
> > info->num_queues is 0).
> >
> > Wei, I think netif_disconnect_backend should set IFF_DRV_OACTIVE in order to
> > notify the net subsystem that the queues are full, so no further calls to
> > xn_txq_mq_start happen until the resume has finished, do you agree?
> >

> Perhaps clear IFF_DRV_RUNNING and only set it when the device is ready?
> Looking at the manpage is seems more appropriate to me semantically.

Hello Karl and Christian, I have the following patches that solve all the
issues I've seen with live migration, with those I've been able to migrate a
VM > 100 times without seeing any issues. Could you give them a try?

BTW, I haven't been able to reproduce Karl's crash ("called with 0 available
queues"), but I've added a condition that should prevent it from triggering
anyway. Patches are here:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7349
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7362
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7363

It doesn't really matter in which order you apply them as long as both 3 are
applied. Ideally I would like to commit them on Monday, so that I can MFC
them to stable/11 before the releng/11 branch, could you please provide some
feedback before then?

Thanks, Roger.