FreeBSD on EC2

Luke Marsden luke-lists at hybrid-logic.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 11:37:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 11:19 +0100, Zladivliba Voskuy wrote:

> I'm just replying the thread to indicate that I've created a blog to join efforts building FreeBSD on EC2 ; if you have time and are interested about making this happen, inform me of your efforts, I'm trying to follow everything that's going on on the subject :  http://freebsdec2.wordpress.com/

I know it's not quite EC2 (or Xen, so please excuse the posting to
freebsd-xen) but until Kip Macy gets a chance to make it happen on EC2
we're using CloudSigma and ElasticHosts for FreeBSD in the cloud. They
use KVM as a virtualisation platform and stock FreeBSD runs nicely on
it, and their prices aren't too far off what EC2 provide. They've both
got a very nice API too.

The only tweak you need to make is to set hw.mca.enable="0" on the
FreeBSD boot prompt. CloudSigma have a library image (like an AMI) which
includes this tweak (disclosure: I published this disk image).

See http://www.cloudsigma.com/about-us/press-releases/179 for
CloudSigma's recent press release about FreeBSD support and see
http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.stable/browse_thread/thread/39c2cdd1d09b8f5f for info on the MCA bug and the fix. ElasticHosts are worth a mention too: they use a very similar platform but have data centres is San Antonio, Texas and London, UK. CloudSigma are based in Zurich, Switzerland only.

Hope this is of some assistance.

--
Best Regards,
Luke Marsden