FreeBSD DomU: Upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 11:53:25 UTC 2010

If you're booting the XEN kernel, it's going to need to be running in
paravirtualized mode. It lacks drivers for non-XEN devices. Also, I have
found the XEN kernel running in paravirtualized mode to be nowhere near
stable enough for production use. I have used 8.0 with the GENERIC kernel in
several domUs (running on Xen 3.4.2 and 4.0) successfully.

This config file will work for an 8.0 box:

# Name of the domU
name = "freebsd-01"
# HVM options
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
builder = 'hvm'
# Virtual hardware configuration
vcpus = 1
memory = 512
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/SystemDisks/freebsd-01.root,hda,w' ]
vif = [ 'type=ioemu,bridge=eth0' ]
# Console and other options
serial = 'pty'
vfb = [ 'vnc=1,vncdisplay=1' ]