FreeBSD DomU: Upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0

G VM drums_gvm at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 11:45:33 UTC 2010

> From: alex at nirgal.de
> To: got.andras at deployis.eu
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:31:48 +0200
> CC: freebsd-xen at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD DomU: Upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0
>
> Hello,
>
> Am 20.07.2010 um 12:52 schrieb Gót András:
>
> > How's your domU config file for xen?
>
> Up until 7.2 i have used the GENERIC Kernel and never built one of my
> own, because there was no need. But as 7.3 or 8.0 will not boot up
> with their GENERIC Kernels (tested with the Live-DVD, error described
> in my first mail), i think i have to built a custom kernel.
>
> I plan to use the config from
>
>    /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/XEN
>
> You can find it there:
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/conf/XEN?rev=1.9.2.1;content-type=text%2Fplain;only_with_tag=RELENG_8_0
>
> Note: i just want to use hvm-virtualization, paravirtualization is not
> necessary.

I had/have the exact same issue. I always used hvm with FreeBSD 7.2
>From the moment I upgraded to 7.3 or 8.0, I get a kernel panic.

Even the install cd does not boot for 7.3 or 8.0.

I did not fixed this yet. I would think that this is happening since there is some virtual stuff included in the kernel by default now and this was not there in 7.2
Maybe you can just disable hvm or something in the kernel config. As IIRC with HVM the OS is not aware that it is virtualised.

Please let me know if you find a solution!

Greetings!