TTM error on STABLE

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 27 09:35:55 UTC 2014

On 26.10.2014 15:05, Toms Bergmanis wrote:
>>> A sidenote from my experience: when using the new drivers from trunk
>>> branch - Xorg refuses to start (with the old console). It only works if
>>> i manually load the radeonkms module first. It's no a problem on STABLE
>>> with newcons, but on RELEASE this was a dealbreaker for me.
>>
>> Do you still have that problem?
>
> Unfortunately yes. I'm now on 10.1-RC3 (r273437) + everything from
> Graphics trunk branch and that problem is still bugging me (Xorg shows
> the same error log as before),

I just sent a "Call for testers" on this same mailing-list, containing a
patch to update xf86-video-ati to 7.5.0. It appears there was a patch in
the official Ports tree which never made it to the xorg-dev Subversion
repository. However, this port update I just posted has it again.

Could you please test this patch and report back?

> but now it gets a bit more stranger - if i put radeonkms_* stuff in
> loader.conf, then i get this image
> http://oi62.tinypic.com/14khaba.jpg

I suppose your computer doesn't boot after that? Are you sure you
preloaded all the required firmwares?

> The only way for me to start X is to load radeonkms manually and then
> restart slim.

Another solution is to load radeonkms from /etc/rc.conf; see the
$kld_list variable in the manpage.

> Mesa 10.3.x is a huge improvement for my AMD A8-5600K APU - no lags and
> stuttering at all, even when watching 1080p movies (mpv + opengl-hq
> preset).

Cool! Thank you for the report :-)

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron