FreeBSD Port: x11-servers/xorg-server

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 19 17:24:11 UTC 2014

On 23.09.2014 00:47, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Looks to me like there should be a note to this effect on the wiki, at the
> very least. It's a pretty odd situation. If this happened in the standard
> ports system, it would just result in a PORT_REVISION bump. Could that be
> done to those packages in the NEW_XORG repo?

This problem is solved now that WITH_NEW_XORG is on its way out.

I just want to explain why we couldn't have different PORT_REVISION for
the WITH_NEW_XORG flavour and the "normal" flavour packages. Both
packages build and publication aren't particularily synchronized. So for
example, during day #1, we have _5 for the non-WITH_NEW_XORG package and
_6 for the WITH_NEW_XORG package. We make some updates and increment to
_7/_8 respectively. But we have no control on which will appear first in
the repositories: a user could get the wrong one and be in the same
situation you had. A better solution would be priorities or package
pinning, but we don't have that yet.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron