[HEADS UP] switch default xorg version in 9.1 and later

Koop Mast kwm at rainbow-runner.nl
Tue Jun 18 19:56:01 UTC 2013

On 18-6-2013 21:38, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bris.ac.uk>wrote:
>
>>          Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:00:57 +0200
>>          From: Niclas Zeising <zeising at freebsd.org>
>>
>>          It is time to switch the default version of xorg on FreeBSD 9.1 and
>>          later, including CURRENT.
>>

> Great work, Im all for progress, but in general what is "legacy hardware"
> how are users of the binary nvidia driver effected?
> eg im confused if I have a recent nvidia card Eg 560 series, does the "new"
> xorg work as expected or is this legacy hardware because it does not
> support KMS?
> so far as I know KMS for intel is in 9.1 and there is some sort of start on
> KMS for ATI in HEAD... but nothing yet for Nvidia.

You mean the opensource nvidia driver nouveau? From my limited
understanding that will take another KMS based kernel API to work. And
since we have already very good binary blob support, so I think it is
unlikely someone is going to get worked on that very soon.
The normal nvidia-driver works fine with the xorg-server 1.12, I'm not
sure how the xorg-server support is for the older legacy nvidia-drivers.
That is indeed a point that might need to be looked at.

-Koop