Help needed : FreeBSD 8.1 / xorg / xf86-video-intel / dell400

Henri-Pierre Charles hpcharles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 10:52:53 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Szilveszter Adam <sziszi at bsd.hu> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 01:36:17PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:35:54 +0200
>> Henri-Pierre Charles <hpcharles at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a way to know the "modes" supported by a graphic card ?
>> >

>> vidcontrol -i mode in a VTY (not in X!).
>
> Also, AFAIK the VESA driver can only do up to 1024x768, so even if your
> LCD has a bigger resolution, you are stuck with that. I just happen to
> be lucky that I do not need any bigger.

I did some (minor) progress :

- vidcontrol -i mode give only 640x480x4 maximum resolution before I
realize that loading vesa.ko could help.
- With "kload vesa.ko" I get 1024x768x8 which could be ok for my laptop.
- I am very surprized to have to add :
  HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
  VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
  to the Monitor section for a laptop with a LCD screen. Is to due to
the vesa driver ?
- X start correctly but is unable to go higher than 640x480 which seem
strange because
-- The panel resolution is recognized :(II) VESA(0): PanelID returned
panel resolution 1024x768
-- The mode exist Mode: 105 (1024x768)
-- but (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1024x768" (no mode of this name)

My current xorg.conf & the Xorg.0.log coud be read here
http://henripierre.charles.free.fr/Xorg-Vesa/

Will I need to resurrect the modeline from the old video monitor ?

--
HPC   http://ticetmensonges.blog.free.fr