(OT) X pausing until mouse move (collecting commonalities)

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 27 12:16:53 PDT 2008

Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> I'm trying to get a list of commonalities to better focus my
>> troubleshooting.  So far, my two machines that are affected have the
>> following in common:
>>
>> GNOME 2.22 (with hald)
>> nVidia graphics card (though different drivers)
>> PS/2 mouse
>> dual core
>> ULE scheduler
>>
>> My one machine that is not affected differs from this in that it has
>> an Intel graphics card, USB mouse, and is not dual core (but HTT).
>>
>> It looks like Coleman has a PS/2 mouse as well.  It's starting to
>> look like the mouse technology might have something to do with this.
>> Anyone seeing this problem with a USB mouse?
>
> I've seen this on a Dell D800 laptop --
>   nVidia graphics
>   Pentium-M
>   USB mouse   FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE with ULE scheduler
>
> I'm running xdm and windowmaker -- ports all up to date as of this
> morning.
> I have managed to get the effect to disappear by the following
> sequence of actions:
>
>   * Apply the patch to sysutils/hal you Joe Marcus Clarke posted
>     else-thread.  This had no discernable effect.
>
>   * Disable hald in /etc/rc.conf and turn it off.  Again, no obvious
>     effect.
>
>   * Recompile x11-servers/xorg-server and toggle off the HAL support
>     in OPTIONS.
>
> Bingo.  Everything is nice and fast again and I don't have to wiggle the
> mouse to enter text.  Unfortunately Thunderbird seems to have lost
> contact
> with Enigmail[*] as a result of these changes and I'm sure there are a
> few other
> things that aren't working quite right (but then I'm the old-school type
> that regards a mouse as a tool used to select which xterm gets the
> keyboard
> focus.)
Thunderbird seems to not work with enigmail for me since the upgrade to
TB 2.0.0.12. The engimail people seem intent on blaming everyone else
for not using "official copies" of ThunderBird, but I cannot seem to get
it to work even if I follow their special directions for building the
software from within mail/thunderbird/work after a new TB build/install
(without running make clean). Their whole argument about this being "my
fault" for using an "unofficial version" of TB smells to me, but I
suppose I could always go and fix the problem myself. I don't even know
what the actual error is that causes this to occur.