Possibly missing run dependencies with TightVNC's vncserver

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Tue Jun 24 17:37:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 19:58 +1000, andrew clarke wrote:
> On Sun 2008-06-22 02:03:13 UTC+0930, Wayne Sierke (ws at au.dyndns.ws) wrote:
>
> > I have tightvnc running on a headless machine and see various errors,
> > too:
> >
> >         Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb'
> >         xrdb: not found
> >         xsetroot: not found
> >
> > I ignore them, and tightvnc seems to run ok regardless, at least to the
> > extent where I can connect satisfactorily from other machines.
>
> Yes, maybe I wasn't clear in my original message.  vncserver runs
> fine, and I can connect to it without trouble, but xterm (and others)
> generated errors due to missing components.  I've since created a
> minimal xorg.conf after installing the x11/rgb port and it seems all
> the errors have disappeared.  And WindowMaker no longer segfaults
> after I kill twm and run wmaker.
>
> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "Files"
> 	RgbPath      "/usr/local/share/X11/rgb"
> 	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/URW/"
> EndSection
>
> Oddly though, if I delete xorg.conf, the errors don't return.  Some
> sort of caching in place, perhaps.

I've taken another look at the setup here. xterms work adequately in the
vnc desktop for my needs, e.g. top and vi work as expected and the only
failing I've seen is that mutt was unusable as the text was not visible.
I've not pursued that issue since it's not a problem for my needs.

Here's some of the configuration on the system I referred to:

        # crontab -l -u ws
        # 20080330 ws - vncserver bombs without /usr/local/bin (for xauth) in PATH
        PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
        # 20080329 ws - /usr/X11R6 is now /usr/local
        @reboot /usr/local/bin/vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16

        # cat /home/ws/.vnc/xstartup
        #!/bin/sh
        xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
        xsetroot -solid grey
        xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
        env DISPLAY=:1 wine c:/utorrent.exe &
        lwm &

        # ls /etc/X11/*
        ls: No match.

        # ls /home/ws/.X* /root/.X*
        /home/ws/.Xauthority    /root/.Xauthority

I don't recall the history of the xrdb and xsetroot lines in xstartup,
but neither is currently installed nor required - hence the errors for
those in my previous message.

x11/rgb isn't installed and the only other port I can recall
deliberately installing was x11-wm/lwm (actually a couple of other
light-weight window managers, too, but I currently use lwm).

The system was running 6.x until yesterday when it was upgraded to
7-STABLE with no discernible change in behaviour, albeit the ports are
yet to be updated.

Some additional information is needed to narrow this down. What exactly
did you see the xterm (and others) complaining about? System and ports
versions? Are you running vncserver as root or user?

Wayne