Possibly missing run dependencies with TightVNC's vncserver

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Fri Jun 27 15:54:16 UTC 2008

On Wed 2008-06-25 03:07:44 UTC+0930, Wayne Sierke (ws at au.dyndns.ws) wrote:

> > Yes, maybe I wasn't clear in my original message.  vncserver runs
> > fine, and I can connect to it without trouble, but xterm (and others)
> > generated errors due to missing components.  I've since created a
> > minimal xorg.conf after installing the x11/rgb port and it seems all
> > the errors have disappeared.  And WindowMaker no longer segfaults
> > after I kill twm and run wmaker.
> >
> > $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > Section "Files"
> > 	RgbPath      "/usr/local/share/X11/rgb"
> > 	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
> > 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
> > 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
> > 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
> > 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
> > 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
> > 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
> > 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/URW/"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Oddly though, if I delete xorg.conf, the errors don't return.  Some
> > sort of caching in place, perhaps.

After deleting xorg.conf and running "pkg_delete rgb-1.0.1", I re-ran
vncserver and the errors returned.  WindowMaker started dumping core
again:

$ cat $HOME/.vnc/*.log
Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb'
28/06/08 01:22:51 Xvnc version TightVNC-1.3.9
28/06/08 01:22:51 Copyright (C) 2000-2007 TightVNC Group
28/06/08 01:22:51 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
28/06/08 01:22:51 All Rights Reserved.
28/06/08 01:22:51 See http://www.tightvnc.com/ for information on
TightVNC
28/06/08 01:22:51 Desktop name 'X' (blizzard.dancer:1)
28/06/08 01:22:51 Protocol versions supported: 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.7t, 3.8t
28/06/08 01:22:51 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
28/06/08 01:22:51 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5801
28/06/08 01:22:51   URL http://blizzard.dancer:5801
xsetroot:  unknown color "grey"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: "gray" is not a valid color name
wmaker warning: Error in texture specification for key "WidgetColor"
wmaker warning: using default "(solid, gray)" instead
wmaker warning: "gray" is not a valid color name
wmaker warning: Error in texture specification for key "WidgetColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "HighlightColor"
wmaker warning: using default "white" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "HighlightColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "HighlightTextColor"
wmaker warning: using default "black" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "HighlightTextColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "ClipTitleColor"
wmaker warning: using default "black" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "ClipTitleColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "FTitleColor"
wmaker warning: using default "white" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "FTitleColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "PTitleColor"
wmaker warning: using default "white" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "PTitleColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "UTitleColor"
wmaker warning: using default "black" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "UTitleColor"
wmaker warning: "black" is not a valid color name
wmaker warning: Error in texture specification for key "FTitleBack"
wmaker warning: using default "(solid, black)" instead
wmaker warning: "black" is not a valid color name
wmaker warning: Error in texture specification for key "FTitleBack"
wmaker warning: "gray40" is not a valid color name
wmaker warning: Error in texture specification for key "PTitleBack"
wmaker warning: using default "(solid, "#616161")" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "MenuTitleColor"
wmaker warning: using default "white" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "MenuTitleColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "MenuTextColor"
wmaker warning: using default "black" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "MenuTextColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "gray50"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "MenuDisabledColor"
wmaker warning: using default "#616161" instead
wmaker warning: "black" is not a valid color name
wmaker warning: Error in texture specification for key "MenuTitleBack"
wmaker warning: using default "(solid, black)" instead
wmaker warning: "black" is not a valid color name
wmaker warning: Error in texture specification for key "MenuTitleBack"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "IconTitleColor"
wmaker warning: using default "white" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "white"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "IconTitleColor"
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "IconTitleBack"
wmaker warning: using default "black" instead
wmaker warning: could not parse color "black"
wmaker warning: could not get color for key "IconTitleBack"

$ cat $HOME/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
wmaker &

If I replace wmaker with twm:

twm:  invalid color name "black"
twm:  invalid color name "white"
twm:  invalid color name "slategrey"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "slategrey"
twm:  invalid color name "gray70"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"

And run Mutt from xterm:

xterm: Cannot allocate color green
xterm: Cannot allocate color cyan
xterm: Cannot allocate color gray90
xterm: Cannot allocate color black
xterm: Cannot allocate color white
xterm: Cannot allocate color blue2
xterm: Cannot allocate color yellow
xterm: Cannot allocate color red3

> I don't recall the history of the xrdb and xsetroot lines in xstartup,
> but neither is currently installed nor required - hence the errors for
> those in my previous message.
>
> x11/rgb isn't installed and the only other port I can recall
> deliberately installing was x11-wm/lwm (actually a couple of other
> light-weight window managers, too, but I currently use lwm).
>
> The system was running 6.x until yesterday when it was upgraded to
> 7-STABLE with no discernible change in behaviour, albeit the ports are
> yet to be updated.
>
> ???Some additional information is needed to narrow this down. What exactly
> did you see the xterm (and others) complaining about? System and ports
> versions? Are you running vncserver as root or user?

FreeBSD 6.3, as non-root user.  Ports tree is current.

I think the issue is that the tightvnc port:

1. does not list x11/rgb as a dependency

2. does not point to the right place where the RGB database is
located.  See net/tightvnc/files/patch-Xvnc::programs::Xserver::dix::Imakefile :

+DEFAULTRGBDATABASE = ${LOCALBASE}/lib/X11/rgb

I think this should be:

+DEFAULTRGBDATABASE = ${LOCALBASE}/lib/X11/rgb.txt

OK, I'm baffled.  After making that change then doing a rebuild/reinstall of
net/tightvnc, then reinstalling x11/rgb, I still get this error:

Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb.txt'

But it's there:

-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 17371 2008-06-21 16:16 /usr/local/lib/X11/rgb.txt

And /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems to make no difference this time.

As you can probably imagine, I don't understand what's going on at
this point.

Regards
Andrew