After upgrading to 7.3, settings in xorg.conf are not obeyed

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 03:47:08 PDT 2007

Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded my ports to include the xorg 7.3

After restarting, xorg ignored any settings in my xorg.conf to use
1600x1200 as my desktop resolution, and chose a much lower resolution
(1152 by something, can't recall exactly).

I tried for several hours to get the right resolution, including forcing
options to ignore EDID/DDC info, and in the end I put back 7.2 from
packages and it all worked correctly again.

I'm using the ati driver, hardware is

drm0 at pci1:0:0:  class=0x030000 card=0x7c20174b chip=0x41511002 rev=0x00
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
    device     = 'Radeon 9600 (RV350)'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

with a CRT on the 15 pin connector (through a KVM, but same happens with
direct connection).

Unfortunately I don't have logfiles available at the moment, and I won't
be able to check further before the weekend.

Please cc me on any responses, I am not on the list.

Regards,

Andy