What can I do?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Mar 22 16:09:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 03:19:29PM +0100, Rainer Goellner wrote:
> Florent Thoumie wrote:
> >Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> >>I'm glad to see that there are people working on fixing ports that break due
> >>to the move to modular and the change to X11BASE, but I'm curious if anyone
> >>is actively working on fixing the bugs actually present in Xorg 7.2 on
> >>FreeBSD (ie. AIGLX, ATI pcigart support, etc.)?
> Anyway, what can I do? Is anyone working on Matrox 3D
> (mga, not mtx) support, or can we be sure that it's
> never gonna work from now on? Would be something to
> start with for me.

Just a comment on mga cards.  (I have an old one, so I'm not even thinking
about 3D.

Ubuntu, the supposed best for newcomers, etc, yada yada broke Matrox
support in Edgy and haven't fixed it, despite a fix being offered on
their bug reports--a working fix.

On the other hand, FreeBSD's xorg-7.x works perfectly with my Matrox.
So take that Ubuntu.  :)

(Folks please don't take this as an our O/S is better than yours--note
the smilely.  I do think that Ubuntu should fix it for advocacy
reasons, but that's completely off-topic.   My purpose here is merely to
point out that there are times when we're ahead of Linux.)

May I also take this opportunity to add my most sincere thanks to the
xorg team for all their hard work and time.  (and say, yeah, me too--I
want it in the ports tree, hurry hurry, are we there yet?)

Whimsically yours,

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Giles: Nothing left but skin and cartilage.
Xander: In other words, this was no boating accident.