DRI and i945GM problems in xorg 7.2

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 16:54:42 UTC 2007

Hi,
	I thought I'd try out the upcoming xorg a bit early and have installed
xorg 7.2 from the git repository. All seems good and openbox and xfce4
run happily as do all my normal apps. Because of this I thought I'd give
beryl a whirl even though i've see a few issues with it come up on here
about the intel i810 driver and beryl. My issue seems to be different
though. I started beryl from .xinitrc with a content of:
xterm &
beryl

In the hope this would be simple enough that it wouldnt cause problems
and I could then start anything else i needed (panels etc) from the xterm.
	What actually happened was that X started and then beryl started, I
never actually saw the xterm. Once in X/beryl the cube seemed to be
there and I could rotate it via the mouse or via the keyboard but i
couldnt actually start any programs. This seemed relatively positive
though so I ctl-alt-backspace out of Xwindows and got the following error.
error: [drm:pid1254:drm_close] *ERROR* can't find authenticator
After this trying to start X gives:
(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(EE) I810(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack
of shared memory support in the kernel

and trying to start beryl once X has started gives the traditional white
screens (ie software rendering as far as i can tell.)

	Rebooting and restarting X removes these errors, I then tried starting
beryl-manager from vanilla X and an xterminal, and got beryl up with an
xterminal on screen. However the keyboard didnt seem to respond until i
middle clicked (to see the pretty cube rotate ;) at which point all of
my typing seemed to happen at once. This was replicateable. I tried
starting up xfce4-panel but this never seemed to initialise, Killing off
beryl worked and didnt cause the dri error and let the xfce4-panel start
but of course beryl is still unusable.
I dont suppose that anyone has come across this and found a solution?

I'm running todays 7-CURRENT, and uptodate with ports from git as of
this morning. I'm loading agp as a module and letting X load the drm.ko
and i915.ko for drm.

regards,
Vince