Is Vodoo3 supposed to work and have DRI?

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Mar 29 00:39:26 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 16:58, Erik Trulsson wrote:
= I.e. 'device tdfx' seems to be for Voodoo II cards.
= For Voodoo 3/4/5 you would want
=   device  drm
=   device  tdfxdrm

Yes, indeed. This worked! The X-servers comes up, and even glxgears seem to
spin at decent speed.

However, at random points after much work, such as moving a window "too much"
or scrolling through "too much" textual output in an xterm, the X-server
hangs. In top(1) it looks like:

  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
  720 mi            1 130    0 80016K  6792K RUN     22.2H 97.56% Xorg

Killing it works (but only with -9) leaving the screen black. Trying to start
a new session after this (logging in remotely) hangs the whole machine...

The box is a single Pentium3 @450MHz... Any ideas?

	-mi

P.S. I must admit, with sadness, that the only case of properly and quickly
working OpenGL, that I ever saw on FreeBSD, was with NVidia's own driver...