Successful upgrade, following wikitest instructions

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 28 01:44:53 PST 2006

Scott Robbins wrote:
> I had a sacrificial box, so I decided to try the xorg upgrade.  The only
> problem I ran into was after following the step of make install in xorg,
> it began running pkg_config and giving the message that there was a
> dependency loop with xorg-libs.

Ah yes, seen a cyclic dependency with libX11 and xorg-libraries. Had to
fix it with pkgdb -F. Is that the one you're talking about?

> I ctl-C'd out of it.  It was hanging on registering xorg-7.1, however,
> looking at /var/db/pkg showed xorg-7.1 there. I ran pkgdb -F which gave
> me the chance to fix it.  I was so euphoric that it had worked I
> neglected to write down my choices, thinking my memory would serve,
> which I fear, it didn't.  There were a few conflicts (it didn't remove
> xorg-server-6.9, so I chose, during pkgdb -F to unregister it.)

Hum, portupgrade xorg-server should have done that.

> At any rate, everything seems to be working.  I used a PCBSD
> installation, because I was in a hurry to try this, and PCBSD gives me a
> working X environment in about 20 minutes.
>
> I followed the instructions completely--I think, however, that I could
> have gotten away with, rather than the entire xorg-drivers port to go
> through and just install what I needed, mouse, keyboard, vesa for
> emergency and xf86-video-mga.

Yeah, but I wanted to give a safe path to upgrade. It's easier to remove
what you don't need once you made sure everything works.

> At any rate, I just wanted to report success, and thank you folks for
> all your hard work and your guide to upgrading, which worked beautifully
> for me.  When I have a bit of time, I think I'm going to dump this drive
> to a spare, in case it doesn't work, and try it on my main workstation.

Thanks for trying this out. Always happy to read about success :-)

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org