Successful upgrade, following wikitest instructions

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 28 03:24:23 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 09:43:23AM +0000, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> > I had a sacrificial box, so I decided to try the xorg upgrade.  The only
> > problem I ran into was after following the step of make install in xorg,
> > it began running pkg_config and giving the message that there was a
> > dependency loop with xorg-libs.
>
> Ah yes, seen a cyclic dependency with libX11 and xorg-libraries. Had to
> fix it with pkgdb -F. Is that the one you're talking about?

I ~think~ that was the one.  Once I saw that it was showing in
/var/db/pkg I did the ctl-C and ran pkgdb -F.

> > which I fear, it didn't.  There were a few conflicts (it didn't remove
> > xorg-server-6.9, so I chose, during pkgdb -F to unregister it.)
>
> Hum, portupgrade xorg-server should have done that.

I thought so too.  I'm not sure what happened there, if I missed a step.
I think I'm going to try it again, this time making sure to document
what happens.  (Perhaps I typed portinstall rather than portupgrade?)

> > through and just install what I needed, mouse, keyboard, vesa for
> > emergency and xf86-video-mga.
>
> Yeah, but I wanted to give a safe path to upgrade. It's easier to remove
> what you don't need once you made sure everything works.

Agreed, that was my logic as well.

> > At any rate, I just wanted to report success, and thank you folks for
> > all your hard work and your guide to upgrading, which worked beautifully
> > for me.  When I have a bit of time, I think I'm going to dump this drive
> > to a spare, in case it doesn't work, and try it on my main workstation.
>
> Thanks for trying this out. Always happy to read about success :-)

I think you guys have done an excellent job.  It was, with the above
mentioned exceptions, completely smooth.  Fortunately, you're using the
later version of the mga driver (as the early xorg-7.1 driver didn't
work properly--just about everyone but Ubuntu and their derivatives have
fixed it though, including Debian.)

In the next few days, I'll do another run, and this time, be more
careful to write down where I run into trouble. (I might also get brave
and just put in keyboard mouse, my mga card and vesa drivers.)

If it goes as smoothly as last time, I think I might really get bold,
throw in an extra hard drive on my main workstation (as I'm far too lazy
to wait for it to build a package for everything depending on X) do a
dump restore in case I break things, and then try it on the main
workstation. I am really impressed with the job you folks have done, I
did not expect it to be anywhere near this easy.  I figured the PCBSD
install was a good test, as it runs KDE, and I figured, if all the KDE
stuff worked, that was a good sign.

Many thanks.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: We're right behind you, only further back.