problem with starting xorg after upgrade

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Thu Jan 5 07:33:29 PST 2006

On Thursday 05 of January 2006 01:44, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:19:11PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > > Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:53:13 +0100
> > > From: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si>

> > > This seems to be the trouble (client would probably be fluxbox or twm
> > > here). The only notable difference to Xauthority related stuff seems to
> > > be that startx now adds tokens to ~/.serverauth.<startx_PID> besides
> > > the usual ~/.Xauthority file. Are you doing something unusual with
> > > XAUTHORITY variables? Is ~/.Xauthority file of user empty when X is
> > > shut down? Are permissions of /tmp/.X11-unix as they should be -
> > > somewhat like this: drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel  512 Jan  1 08:36
> > > /tmp/.X11-unix
> > > ?
> >
> > As I said in my eariler email, there just seems to be something peculiar
> > with this machine's onboard via card and X, causing problems with
> > .Xauthority.
> >
> > I reinstalled 6.9 and found that I could eliminate the problem as long
> > as I removed all .Xauthority files before doing startx.  An ugly hack,
> > but it works.
>
> Further addition to this--actually, as long as I remove ~/.Xauthority-l
> and ~/.Xauthority-c, it works.  I don't have to bother removing
> .Xauthority itself.
>
> Again, I don't know enough about this to understand exactly what is going
> on.  If Nakaji-san tried removing his ~/.Xauthority-c and -l files and
> tried restarting and it works, then perhaps we're onto something.  :)

That's most probably unrelated problem.
What seems to happen is that when startx calls xauth to remove tokens from
ended session, xauth apparently locks Xauthority file (files .Xauthority-c
and Xauthority-l are used as locks) and then it crashes, leaving authority
file locked and of course unavailable for next session of same user. There
might be some error messages about this on terminal from which startx was
run. There's probably also a note in dmesg if xauth crashed. Also if you want
to dig deeper, you could compile xorg with debugging and try to examine
xauth.core file that you mentioned appears sometimes and file a bug report in
freedesktop bugzilla if it indeed turns out to be something wrong with
xauth(1).

Dejan