problems with Radeon RV280 -- dualhead

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Sun May 1 12:55:34 PDT 2005

Hello!

I'm trying to use a PCI Radeon 9200 SE in a single Opteron machine:

drm0: <ATI Radeon RV280 9200 SE> port 0x9000-0x90ff mem
0xce4f0000-0xce4fffff,0xd0000000-0xdfffffff irq 17 at device 5.0 on pci2
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.11.0 20020828 on minor 0
info: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode

These are the non-default options in from xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
	Option	"MergedFB"
	Option	"CRT2HSync"	"30-75"
	Option	"CRT2VRefresh"	"50-76"
	Option	"CRT2Position"	"LeftOf"
	Option	"MergedXineramaCRT2IsScreen0"
	Option	"DisplayPriority"	"HIGH"
	Option	"SubPixelOrder"	"RGB"
	Option	"DynamicClocks"
	VendorName	"ATI Technologies Inc"
	BoardName	"Unknown Board"
	BusID	"PCI:2:5:0"
EndSection

It works, but:

	1. We are used to using having two different displayes in xdm/Xservers:
		:7 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X v :7 -logverbose
		:2 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X v :2 -logverbose

	Only one of the two Xservers enables DRM, the second one fails to
	open /dev/dri/card* -- with NVidia card all Xservers were able to use
	direct rendering.

	2. There comes a point after some time of usage, when the monitor connected
	to the DVI connector on the card goes dark. The VGA one still displayes its
	half of the picture, but the other half is not there. An X-server restart is
	needed.

	3. After a couple of restarts described in 2. above, both displays turn
	erratic -- no discernable picture, but the mouse movements can be seen on the
	screen moving a large rectangle around. This is when the Xorg process starts
	eating up all available CPU and the only way out is to reboot the computer.

Any hints/suggestions? Any patches to try? Thanks!

	-mi