ways to end X Window?

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 18 02:22:54 PDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Xu Qiang wrote:

> Hi, all:
>
> I "startx" into the X Window system. However, when I want to exit X system back to the console from where I "startx", I can't find the command. "exit" can only kill an xterm terminal. How to exit the whole X system?

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will hard-kill an XWindows session. Make sure you've
saved all your work, because this will not stop to ask you :-)

Ideally, you should use your window manager's Exit or Logout function. If
you're using vanilla startx, I think you can right/middle click the
desktop or something (haven't used TWM for a long time) to pop up a menu.

Finally, you can Ctrl-Alt-F(1-8) to go back to the virtual console which
you started X from, and hit Ctrl-C.

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au