ways to end X Window?

Xu Qiang Qiang.Xu at fujixerox.com
Mon Apr 18 02:44:49 PDT 2005

David Adam wrote:
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will hard-kill an XWindows session. Make sure
> you've saved all your work, because this will not stop to ask you :-)
>
> Ideally, you should use your window manager's Exit or Logout
> function. If you're using vanilla startx, I think you can
> right/middle click the desktop or something (haven't used TWM for a
> long time) to pop up a menu.
>
> Finally, you can Ctrl-Alt-F(1-8) to go back to the virtual console
> which you started X from, and hit Ctrl-C.

In addtion to your methods, another way is to type "exit" in the xterm which is labelled as "login" at the top-left corner. All other xterms in the X Window system are labelled "xterm", not "login". Type "exit" in these xterms will just kill the terminal, not the whole X system.

I didn't notice that special label before.

Thank you,

Regards,
Xu Qiang