About FreeBSD Handbook

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Thu May 29 14:49:48 PDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Fultus Corporation wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are not understand: Is FreeBSD Community interesting in Fultus works -
> 1. FreeBSD Handbook - in searchable Web Help format (free through Fultus
> eLibrary http://elibrary.fultus.com)
> 2. eBooks (op to date through Fultus Online bookstore
> http://store.fultus.com and free for old versions):
>     2.1. FreeBSD Handbook in searchable PDF format with Bookmark link page
>     2.2. FreeBSD Handbook in Microsoft lit format for Microsoft Reader
>     2.3. FreeBSD Handbook in Compiled HTML format (chm)

I think the misunderstanding is what format these files are.  All of these
except for PDF are Microsoft proprietary formats.  Web Help is the
internal help format for XP, and Compiled HTML is the format for Win2K era
Help.  An indexed PDF is nice since the autogenerated one doesn't have the
links.  I'm not sure how useful Windows format files are for FreeBSD
users, when you can't view them in the FreeBSD environment, but if someone
finds it useful.. :)

How frequently are you planning on updating these?  The Handbook that is
on the website at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ changes daily.  If your
copies aren't up to date, then they aren't very useful to the user
populace.