Mailman archive hyperlink to cvsweb

Peter Johnson peter at tortall.net
Sun Jun 8 20:16:11 PDT 2003

I've written a patch for Mailman's list archiver that links FreeBSD
formatted cvs commit messages to cvsweb much like FreeBSD's original list
archiver (it's even a bit better at figuring out what to link to).

For an example of it in action, see the list archives at
http://cvs.tortall.net/pipermail/yasm-cvs/, specific examples include:
- Branches (and new files):
   http://cvs.tortall.net/pipermail/yasm-cvs/2003-June/000032.html
- Deleted files:
   http://cvs.tortall.net/pipermail/yasm-cvs/2003-May/000009.html

I would think it would be highly desirable to get this feature into the
FreeBSD installation of Mailman, but even if it's not integrated there,
there may be other users (like me) out there for which this patch might be
useful.

Installation:
1. Apply the patch from <http://cvs.tortall.net/HyperArch.py.diff> to the
Mailman installation (typically /usr/local/mailman).
2. Add a pointer to the cvsweb host in Mailman/mm_cfg.py such as:
CVSWEB = 'http://cvsweb.freebsd.org'
3. Re-archive cvs lists using bin/arch --wipe {listname}.

Notes:
- The CVSWEB definition is required; additional filtering is disabled
until this is defined in mm_cfg.py.
- The filter is only applied to messages in lists matching ".*cvs.*" and
messages within those lists matching "^cvs commit[:]".  This can be
changed by editing the patch.
- The cvs commit messages themselves must be formatted similarly to the
FreeBSD commit messages (primarily the Revision/Changes/Path portion)

Comments welcome.
Please CC me, as I'm not subscripted to freebsd-www.

--
Peter Johnson