ConfigRefactor-621b5090487d rises XHCI issues [Was: Re: stable/13 (PCI reset) yet to be identified regression]

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Sun Mar 21 15:35:54 UTC 2021

Am 20.03.2021 um 23:48 schrieb Harry Schmalzbauer:
> Hello,
>
> I'm suffering from a late minute regression with stable/13.
> 4 weeks ago I did pre-production tests with Windows Server VMs
> migrating to bhyve.
> Things went fine, a 82576 ppt Dual Ethernet card worked after
> installing a specific driver version in Server 2012R2.
>
> VMconfig nad host hardware is exaclty the same,
> but with stable/13 from yesterday the XHCI USB hub is marked
> non-functional in the Windows device manager with the hint "error
> during reset"
> and the passthrough NIC doesn"t work anymore -> looks like D3D0 or the
> like initialization fails.  I'm not 100% sure for the XHCI hub issue,
> but the NIC worked without problems some weeks ago.

The NIC passthrough problem turned out to be a switch problem...
And any kind of ppt limitation, which makes it impossible to use the
prosetdx (Inetl nEtwork Connetcion App) Teaming function creating a LACP
(802.11ad) group (creation successful, but no way to "activate"- similar
as after "deactivating" a NIC via Windows context: re-activating fails,
but works after reboot;  group doesn't work after reboot).

But the XHCI problem is reproducable by applying jhb's
ConfigRefactor-621b5090487d.
the difference at bhyve startup with legacy CLI arguments, but applied
621b5090487d:
pci_xhci no USB devices configured
pci_xhci: portregs_write to unpowered port 1
pci_xhci: portregs_write to unpowered port 2
pci_xhci: portregs_write to unpowered port 3
pci_xhci: portregs_write to unpowered port 4
pci_xhci: portregs_write to unpowered port 5
:
:
:

No matter if I use -k configfile or old CLI arguments
Without the diff from main, same bhyve CLI startup leads to working XHCI
in the guest (win2k12R2) and the messeges show above vanish.

Thanks,
-harry