Information on starting a BSD User Group

Sdävtaker sdavtaker at gmail.com
Wed May 21 19:12:36 UTC 2008

Hey, congrats.
I started a bug in Buenos Aires few months ago, same scenario.
We started making a mail-list in university as 0 mile, then we were
expanding outside of it, but we keep using university as meet point.
We meet once per month and run the list, we starting to join
freesoftware events.
We try to grow slowly, but solid.
MetaBUG helped us a lot, we posting meetings there and you can ask for
help in the chat :-)
good luck with the BUG!
Damian :-)

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow.  I wasn't expecting this many replies this quickly.
>

>> I was going to point out MetaBug. . . particularly since they seem pretty
>> close in distance from you. . .
>
> <snip>
>

>> To clarify, "MetaBUG is everywhere".  The MetaBUG is a group of BUGs
>> worldwide collaborating for events, information, etc.  In the Maryland area,
>> we have the Capital Area BSD Users Group (http://capbug.org/).  We meet in
>> Columbia, MD, which may be too far of a trek for you.
>>

> I have actually come across both MetaBUG and CapBUG, shortly after sending
> my original email.
>

>>> I'd also recommend starting up a mailing list, getting the word out to the
>>> various BSD lists related to BUGs in a broad way, and then seeing what you
>>> have.  We are more than willing to host the list if you hit me offline.
>>

> I've got a list server running on my site, so a ML won't be a problem.
> However, won't some people see broadcasting a BUG via ML as spamming?  (I
> don't want to get banned from any lists.)
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Glen Barber

Sdävtaker prays to Rikku goddess for a good treasure.