USB controller error logged when resuming after suspend

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 00:46:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 20:46:42 -0600
> Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's becoming more well known that the USB stack isn't
>> "suspend/resume" safe at this point. Have you tried building your USB
>> systems as kernel modules and unloading/loading them via
>> /etc/rs.suspend|resume? I used to have luck doing that here, but
>> recently that has broken as well (running HEAD).
>
> I'm not so interested in using suspend/resume as a real feature,
> but more as a developer to report issues so that in the future we can
> perhaps have it working for end-users. Apparently there's lots of
> infrastructure work that still needs to be done before it's going to be
> reliable unfortunately.

Do you mean USB subsystem infrastructure, or something more far-reaching?

It seems to me that it's SO close to being functional; in fact, I've
taken to not loading any USB drivers at all on my notebook, which
seems to be the only "reliable" way of using suspend/resume -- that's
not to say that it's perfect, but Pretty Good(TM).

Also, If we could round-up the various sysctl settings and document
them in one place([1] or [2]), I imagine many users would have
suspend/resume as a workable feature, at least on amd64...

-Brandon

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/laptop/article.html
or