usb/142876: sysinstall abort:: usb stick as source media & usb stick as install target

Fbsd1 fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Sat Jan 16 13:50:06 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR usb/142876; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com>
To: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>
Cc: freebsd-usb at freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: usb/142876: sysinstall abort:: usb stick as source media & usb
 stick as install target
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:30:37 +0800

 Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
 > On Saturday 16 January 2010 10:50:06 Joe Barbish wrote:
 >>> Number:         142876
 >>> Category:       usb
 >>> Synopsis:       sysinstall abort:: usb stick as source media & usb stick
 >>> as install target Confidential:   no
 >>> Severity:       serious
 >>
 >>> Environment:
 >> Using 2 USB sticks. da0 2GB as the bootable install media and da1 4GB
 >> target device that freebsd is to be installed on.
 >>
 >> I have put the disc-1 iso onto a usb stick. I can boot this usb stick (da0)
 >>  and use the default sysinstall program to install from to any motherboard
 >>  cabled hard drive. This works as exspected.
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > Did you mean image or iso? Do you have the download link? ISO files should
 > normally not be cat'ed onto memory sticks. And if you do so, you might have to
 > check the options and install medium menu before it works.
 >
 > --HPS

 Your questions are meaningless as i state I have used it to install to
 motherboard cabled hard drives. I bet using an iso burned to cd will
 generate same abort problem when you have 2 usb sticks plugged in and/or
 2 usb hard drives plugged in and using da1 as install target. I think
 sysinstall usb support as currently released in 8.0 can only handle a
 single usb stick or hard drive as install target. It will only install
 to da0. Check the base 8.0 system for /dev/da1 through da9 statements.
 There should be partition statements like da0 has. That seems to be root
 of problem as abort msg says. Should be simple to test for your self. I
 think this was just overlooked. Lets say your FBSD system has no
 motherboard cabled hard drives. It has 4 usb hard drives. You use disc-1
 to install on da4 and i bet you get same abort msg.

 here is the script i use to put the desc-1 iso to img on usb stick

 #!/bin/sh
 #Purpose = Use to transfer the FreeBSD install cd1 to
 #          a bootable 1GB USB flash drive so it can be used to install
 from.
 #          First fetch the FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso to your
 #          hard drive /usr. Then execute this script from the command line
 # fbsd2usb /usr/7.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso /usr/7.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.img
 # Change system bios to boot from USB-dd and away you go.

 # NOTE: This script has to be run from root and your 1GB USB flash drive
 #       has to be plugged in before running this script.

 # On the command line enter fbsd2usb iso-path img-path

 # You can set some variables here. Edit them to fit your needs.

 # Set serial variable to 0 if you don't want serial console at all,
 # 1 if you want comconsole and 2 if you want comconsole and vidconsole
 serial=0

 set -u

 if [ $# -lt 2 ]; then
      echo "Usage: $0 source-iso-path output-img-path"
      exit 1
 fi

 isoimage=$1; shift
 imgoutfile=$1; shift

 # Temp  directory to be used later
 #export tmpdir=$(mktemp -d -t fbsdmount)
 export tmpdir=$(mktemp -d /usr/fbsdmount)

 export isodev=$(mdconfig -a -t vnode -f ${isoimage})

 ISOSIZE=$(du -k ${isoimage} | awk '{print $1}')
 SECTS=$((($ISOSIZE + ($ISOSIZE/5))*4))
 #SECTS=$((($ISOSIZE + ($ISOSIZE/5))*2))

 echo " "
 echo "### Initializing image File started ###"
 echo "### This will take about 1 minute ###"
 date
 dd if=/dev/zero of=${imgoutfile} count=${SECTS}
 echo "### Initializing image File completed ###"
 date

 echo " "
 ls -l ${imgoutfile}
 export imgdev=$(mdconfig -a -t vnode -f ${imgoutfile})

 bsdlabel -w -B ${imgdev}
 newfs -O1 /dev/${imgdev}a

 mkdir -p ${tmpdir}/iso ${tmpdir}/img

 mount -t cd9660 /dev/${isodev} ${tmpdir}/iso
 mount /dev/${imgdev}a ${tmpdir}/img

 echo " "
 echo "### Started Copying files to the image now ###"
 echo "### This will take about 6 minutes ###"
 date

 ( cd ${tmpdir}/iso && find . -print -depth | cpio -dump ${tmpdir}/img )

 echo "### Completed Copying files to the image ###"
 date

 if [ ${serial} -eq 2 ]; then
          echo "-D" > ${tmpdir}/img/boot.config
          echo 'console="comconsole, vidconsole"' >>
 ${tmpdir}/img/boot/loader.conf
 elif [ ${serial} -eq 1 ]; then
          echo "-h" > ${tmpdir}/img/boot.config
          echo 'console="comconsole"' >> ${tmpdir}/img/boot/loader.conf
 fi

 echo " "
 echo "### Started writing image to flash drive now ###"
 echo "### This will take about 16 minutes ###"
 date
 dd if=${imgoutfile} of=/dev/da0 bs=1m
 echo "### Completed writing image to flash drive at ###"
 date

 cleanup() {
      umount ${tmpdir}/iso
      mdconfig -d -u ${isodev}