usb/142876: sysinstall abort:: usb stick as source media & usb stick as install target

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Jan 16 13:50:04 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR usb/142876; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>
To: Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com>
Cc: freebsd-usb at freebsd.org,
 freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: usb/142876: sysinstall abort:: usb stick as source media & usb stick as install target
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:38:40 +0100

 On Saturday 16 January 2010 14:30:37 Fbsd1 wrote:
 > Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
 > >> none

 > >> Using 2 USB sticks. da0 2GB as the bootable install media and da1 4GB
 > >> target device that freebsd is to be installed on.
 > >>
 > >> I have put the disc-1 iso onto a usb stick. I can boot this usb stick
 > >> (da0) and use the default sysinstall program to install from to any
 > >> motherboard cabled hard drive. This works as exspected.
 > >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > Did you mean image or iso? Do you have the download link? ISO files
 > > should normally not be cat'ed onto memory sticks. And if you do so, you
 > > might have to check the options and install medium menu before it works.
 > >
 > > --HPS
 >
 > Your questions are meaningless as i state I have used it to install to
 > motherboard cabled hard drives. I bet using an iso burned to cd will
 > generate same abort problem when you have 2 usb sticks plugged in and/or
 > 2 usb hard drives plugged in and using da1 as install target. I think
 > sysinstall usb support as currently released in 8.0 can only handle a
 > single usb stick or hard drive as install target. It will only install
 > to da0. Check the base 8.0 system for /dev/da1 through da9 statements.
 > There should be partition statements like da0 has. That seems to be root
 > of problem as abort msg says. Should be simple to test for your self. I
 > think this was just overlooked. Lets say your FBSD system has no
 > motherboard cabled hard drives. It has 4 usb hard drives. You use disc-1
 > to install on da4 and i bet you get same abort msg.

 Hi,

 I understand that. The problem I see it is that /dev/daX is used as mount
 device instead of the disk label, for example /dev/ufs/FreeBSD-8-installer.
 Then the device name does not matter. This is not an USB problem. Your PR is
 misplaced.