FreeBSD no longer detects my USB stick

Darryl Yeoh drl at bsd.my
Sat Jan 31 03:20:00 PST 2009

Hi lists,

Need some help. My USB stick no longer gets detected. If I plug it in, nothing happens and I see
this in syslog shortly after:

Jan 31 18:48:37 matrix kernel: uhub5: device problem (TIMEOUT), disabling port 3

Here's the relevant part from usbdevs -dv

Controller /dev/usb5:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000), ATI(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 addr 0 should never happen! <-- ??
 port 4 powered
 port 5 powered
 port 6 powered
 port 7 powered
 port 8 powered
 port 9 powered
 port 10 powered

Here's my uname:

FreeBSD matrix.bsd.my 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #0: Fri Jan 30 13:36:16 MYT 2009
root at matrix.bsd.my:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/INSP_1501  i386

I'm not sure, but all this happened after upgrading Xorg to 7.4. I've tried booting with dbus/hald
disabled and still no go. The weird thing is it works if I boot directly into single-user. I have a
USB mouse and it works if I plug it in. Somehow it looks like it effects USB sticks for now. What
can be causing this to happen ?

Please CC me as I'm not subscribe to the maillinglists.

Darryl