USB support in NDIS -- IFF_NEEDSGIANT?

Paul B. Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:54:10 PST 2009

On 2/16/09, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As long as there are locking mechanisms like this:
>
> void
> KeAcquireSpinLockAtDpcLevel(kspin_lock *lock)
> {
> 	while (atomic_cmpset_acq_int((volatile u_int *)lock, 0, 1) == 0)
> 		/* sit and spin */;
>
> 	return;
> }
>
> inside if_ndis, the whole of NDIS needs to run under one lock. What is the
> name of the "NDIS Giant Lock" after that "Giant" is removed from NDIS?
>
> --HPS
>
> On Monday 16 February 2009, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>> >
>> > I had promised Weongyo that I would convert ndis to USB2 but have been a
>> > bit busy. Anyone else welcome to pick this up in the mean time.
>>
>> I can take care of it. Will be back in some hours or tomorrow with
>> patches.
>>
>> How can I test the if_ndis is working USB-wise?
>>
>> I assume the latest files are in -current.
>>
>> --HPS

The whole purpose of IFF_NEEDSGIANT is because usb1 *needs* it.

I'm currenly using my own custom if_ndis/ndis code with usb stuff
removed and it works fine without that flag.
Anyway, usb2 is going to replace usb1 very soon and in that case
if_ndis & ndis will stop working.

So comment out whole ndisulator from build until it get ported to usb2.

--
Paul