mounting an MP3 player?

Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach johannes-maria at t-online.de
Thu Oct 23 15:25:20 UTC 2008

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

Julian Stacey wrote:

> Hi,
> Reference:
> > From:         Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach <johannes-maria at t-online.de>
> > Roland Smith wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Looking into the source code for the file command, this is an indication
> > > that the file command cannot open the files, even with the correct
> > > permissions.
> >
> > the permission is 660 for all this /dev/da#-files
>
> Likely that excludes you as you are not owner or in same group.

I tried the mounting as root.
[and I also tried chmod 666, just to be sure]

> > > I guess that this device has some quirks that need to be addressed in
> > > the driver. Maybe you can find more help on the freebsd-usb list.
>
> BTW some mp3 players eg mine
>         http://berklix.com/~jhs/txt/clipman/
> seem to detect the power on the cable, & then turn on or off,
> & then devd see what the player has done, & itself removes devices
> or recreates (& if so with permissions that dont suit).

I switched the on/off on the mp3 player but it had no effect; still
not mountable (at least I'm not able to do it).
Independent of the on/off switch the display on the mp3 player is
always lighted when connected to the PC.

> Solutions include to move power switch of mp3 player to force on
> or off whatever, & on BSD end, either work as root, or hack the
> devd.conf so modes or ownership of device allow access to normal
> users.

didn't solve my problem.

> Beware if mp3 player decides to power down, that can cause DOS FS
> to disappear, mounts to fail, that if they were in use, might cause
> a crash, I reckon I've experienced that.  Best experiment first on
> a spare BSD box, not a main server others rely on.

thanks for the warning, never expected such a problem; luckily it
didn't happen (yet?) to me.
It's not a server, just my desktop PC, I'm the only user.

Thanks,
Johannes-Maria